Friendship Day

This is two days late post. But I thought it is better late than never, so here it goes. The latest trend is to assign a day for everything under the sun, you have a world toilet day and unfortunately coincides with World Men's Day, the latest addition is world grandparents day, the intent may be to remember and celebrate them atleast on that one day, but somehow it doesn't sit well with me. 

The dictionary describes a friend as a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically one exclusive of sexual or family relations. This makes me wonder why cant I be friends with my sibling, my parents, my husband, or my cousins?! Now many would be sighing a relief that you got to choose your friends unlike your family. Whatever the case maybe, the very word brings a warm feeling, the rush or endorphins in the insides of us, even though many either abuse the word or the relationship. 

There are many types of friends, those who truly care and those who use you are two extremes of the spectrum. I ve been blessed to have friends who truly care and experienced it in the recent times when my husband and I were down with Covid and hospitalised, they call on you, regardless of the different time zones and check on you everyday, fast and pray for not only you but also your acquaintances, help with logistics, financially and check on you post recovery, now I understand the meaning given by the dictionary, that family will do all of these and more, but when someone outside your family does it, then they are friends.

I don't want to call them, best friend, close friend, true friend, bestie, school friend, college friend, church friend, or friends from work. They are simply friends and the friendships are always made for a lifetime. The saying that some friends are for a reason, some for a season and some for lifetime was written by someone who did not enjoy a good friendship. So let us leave that behind and start making friends with a commitment to keep them always. If this post finds you, then it means you are always cherished and in my prayers. There goes the customary wish: Happy Friendship Day!

P.S. missing my friends who I lost due to Covid, Desiree, Divya Katherine, Roy Anna and Fr.Prasad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Day, Everyday! Anybody game?

Happy Valentines Day Sweetheart

Is our relationship with people or things?